Tuesday, March 26, 2013

A Blog Post from Harmony of The LadyBugs

Hi I'm Harmony and welcome to The LadyBugs daily blog.  A little bit about me.... I live with my boyfriend, Don Hapithus.  He's a musician and goes by the stage name, Happy Cricket.  We have a son, Liverpool, who is named after the hometown of our favorite band, The Beatles.  Liverpool is a bedbug from New York City who we adopted after the infestation left so many bedbug children homeless.  I know what it is like to lose my family.  I grew up on a farm and my parents and relatives were killed be pesticides.  As a result I am a staunch advocate of organic farming.  It's much better for people and bugs.  If you buy organic produce and find a bug in it, just gently place him on your windowsill so he can find a new home.
REAL FOOD
The LadyBugs' debut album is called "Sugar is Poison" and contains a song by the same name.  It talks about how important it is for kids to eat healthy foods.  This is something The LadyBugs are very passionate about.  If you want to improve the quality of the foods you serve in your home, I recommend a book called "Real Food" by Nina Planck.  The book is an easy read and explains why processed foods are so bad for you.  Nina recommends eating food that's as close to it's original form as possible. 
KIDS WITH FOOD ALLERGIES
What if your kids can't eat foods in their natural state because of food allergies?  Some kids have very life threatening allergies to certain foods like peanuts, eggs and dairy products.  Well, I'd like to recommend a book called "Kylie's Special Treat: A Food Allergy Fairy Tale" by Letizia Barbetta with beautiful illustrations by Wendy Sefcik.  It's a story about an artist named Kylie with severe food allergies who makes a special treat for a baking contest that will be judged by a Prince.  Does she win the contest?  Buy the book and find out.  Thanks Letizia for writing a book about this difficult topic.
The LadyBugs are experts in helping parents talk to their kids about difficult topics.  Share your comments and let us know what topics would interest you.
Until next week,
Harmony

No comments:

Post a Comment